Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Italian Leftover Yoshi Bento


Yoshi Bento
Originally uploaded by HazelCreevy

Tonight I made some fresh pesto with Lemon basin from our garden (minus the pine nuts b/c I am allergic) for dinner. In addition to the fettuccini, I made tomato, mozzarella, and polenta drenched in balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I got the idea to use polenta because of the recent post on Lunch in a Box. I had never thought of polenta for my charaben...duh. The only character I could think of that was remotely Italian was Super Mario Brothers (sad considering I am part Italian). Since I felt that Mario himself was too complex, I chose Yoshi. I looked up some images online and drew a few sketches. I then created this bento with our leftovers from dinner. Yoshi and the mushroom guy are made from mozzarella, tomato, and my green "imitation kamaboko" that tastes like dry air. I'm glad that I found something (the polenta) that I can mold and shape other than rice. I am not a big fan of rice, and it is a real staple in bento boxes.

What else can I mold and shape for charaben? Mashed potatoes?

3 comments:

AikoVenus said...

I know this is old but - imitation kamaboko? What's that made out of?

Jessica B. said...

I made it out of tofu. If I'm remembering correctly it was silken tofu and food coloring blended together and baked. That's why it was so tasteless.

AikoVenus said...

Thanks for replying so quickly. Haha, I just made a similar thing - except I used agar agar with it and just stuck it in the fridge. Your idea still seems to be a good one though. ^^