Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Month of Bento

I haven't posted in a while. It isn't that I wasn't making bentos, I just was so busy that I have only just gotten around to posting them. So this is a quick overview of the past month, showcasing the highlights.
First, we have the lunch I made for tomorrow. It is packed in a sandwich bento box and includes a tomato and basil salad with balsamic dressing (in the piggy), two mini egg salad sandwiches, some fresh veggies and broiled potatoes (cookie cutter shapes). The bumble bee is a little chocolate.


These pictures are from the Nightmare Before Christmas Party I helped throw for my friend's birthday. I made the cake and decorated it using Fondant which was a first for me. The cookies are plain sugar cookies decorated to look like Jack Skellington in black icing. Fondant is much easier than I had anticipated and I am looking forward to making more cakes in the future.


Bento style picnic lunch for two: Fresh veggies, grapes, hummus, and pita, all packed up in a large Barbie lunchbox.


We ate this bento at Kent Falls State Park in Kent Connecticut. We have had some freaky weather lately and it was nearly 90 degrees that day despite it being April.

And finally I have a bento which is very similar to the Kent Falls Picnic lunch. It has all the same basic ingredients, however I also included some Quorn fake chicken to make the lunch a bit more filling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blogs. I get so inspired to eat healthy. How do you make the broiled potato shapes? Cut first, broil later or broil first, cut later.

Jessica B. said...

Thanks, J. The potato shapes were cut first, then sprayed with oil, salted, and broiled in the toaster oven.