Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Charlie Brown

I always feel bad for Charlie Brown.


I guess that's the point, but it always bothered me. I think I could deal with the other kids teasing him, but I don't think Snoopy was a very loyal dog, always off having his own adventures while poor Charlie got pooped on...

Despite this, I still like Peanuts and decided to make a Charlie Brown lunch. The lunch contains a Tofurkey and Cheese wrap surrounded by lots of fresh yummy veggies including two Tomato Balloons. Under the balloons are some pickled carrots and cucumbers thanks to the fabulous (and fabulously simple) recipe on Hawai'i's Bento Box Cookbook. After tasting yummy pickled veggies at a local sushi restaurant, I was dying to find a recipe. This one is exactly what I was looking for.

Speaking of sushi, a few days ago I made some:



This lunch is almost half fruit, but that is o.k. because fruit is good for you!

So, bentos done, now on to some non-bento shout outs...

This weekend I made two incredible recipes. First is Celery Root Soup (by Tal Ronnen) which I saw on Oprah last week.  I skipped the apples because I am allergic, and substituted soy creamer for the cashew cream because (again) I'm allergic. Even with my changes, it is so yummy! healthy, and easy to make. I think I may have to get his book:



Second was home made Pita Bread. I discovered this recipe when the lovely @mrsalbrecht tweeted about it. It doesn't exactly taste like pita, more like a white bread, but it has the same shape and texture, perfect for sandwiches or dipping in hummus. Again, this was an easy recipe.

Now that the shout outs are done, time for some rambling Andy Roony style commentary. Is it just me, or is it easier to pack a square box than one with rounded edges? All my expensive Japanese boxes have rounded edges and I find myself favoring the Target sandwich containers with the square edges. Maybe it is just the scientist in me. Also, am I the only one who has no bento motiviation without hunger? If I'm not hungry, I have no interest in making bentos! The worst is when I start a lunch the night before, and while things are cooking or whatever, I eat dinner. I usually abandon the project after I eat.

Maybe it's just me.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: