Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chick Lunch


Chick Lunch
Originally uploaded by JB Doodles

The theme of today's lunch is Chicks! I chose this because of the LiveJournal Bento Challenge "Winged Creatures." Now, I know that chicks don't fly, but they do have wings!

On the right side of the large box is a salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil on skewers sitting on top. The chick sauce container has balsamic vinaigrette in it. The left side has Morningstar Farms fake buffalo wings (Wingettes) with cute bone picks. An omelet with fresh basil, and a Trader Joe's Vegetable Bird's Nest. The Vegetable Bird's Nest and Chick sauce container were my inspiration for creating a chick bento. I used veggie cheddar "cheese" for the chick (roughly cut by hand). I added a nori eye and an orange beak made of orange Soy Sushi Wrapper.

The smaller box on the top right contains a whole wheat mini-bagel with tofutti fake cream cheese, a Trader Joe's fruit leather, and a bag of Bear Cookies. The small closed container (top middle) has some salted cashews.

As is usual, my first priority is making myself a healthy balanced lunch. I then add the character or theme later. Often the lunch I make doesn't mesh well with cuteness, but I think this one works pretty well. The salad and whole wheat bagels are good and healthy. The egg, wingettes, and Veggie Birds Nests are moderately healthy and the cookies are just plain bad.

FYI Sometimes out of habit I call Morningstar Farms Buffalo Wings "Wingettes." I didn't correct myself today in order to explain. It is a nickname and I will probably slip and write that again in the future. They are my absolute favorite food (well, maybe a close second to ravioli) and they will often feature prominently in my lunches.

Happy Lunch!!

No comments: